Our Vision for a transformed system in Ontario includes the following:
Direct Individualized Funding that is based on the following VALUES:
- Self Determination
- Supports for a whole life, a look at the whole person
Direct Individualized Funding that is based on the following PRINCIPLES:
- The person’s voice is honoured through any decision making process (with assistance from family and/or friends), with the person’s voice being honoured in the process.
- Participation and contribution in community is a given – community as a first resource.
- Dreams of the person and the strengths of the person, family and support network guide the process.
- Facilitation and planning is a separate function in the system.
- Relationship building and networks of people are key.
- Funding is fully portable (funding can be moved within an area to a different agency, to another part of the province, out of province, from agency base budgets to direct, whatever is needed).
Direct Individualized Funding that has infrastructure in place, also called essential supports, for people to experience success. This includes:
- Independent Facilitation and Planning
- Other essential supports that are especially designed for direct individualized funding as follows:
- Invoicing/financial accounting and accountability.
- Human resource support.
- Capacity enhancement, i.e. training for families and personal assistants.
Independent Facilitation and Planning that is:
- separate from direct service provision
- separate from access centres (single point of access)
- separate from funding allocation
- an infrastructure support to Direct Individualized Funding
- in relationship with a provincial community of practice that holds the values and offers shared learning
Back to About